Posted: 1:40 pm Thursday, December 7th, 2017
By Staff Writer
As I’ve said before, Christmas will be different for me this year.
From my perspective, Christmas will be different for the entire world this year, because my Zacky isn’t here… But tradition does bring some form of comfort to my family and so this past weekend, off we went on our annual Christmas Tree Hunt.
We went to a new tree farm this time, and the folks were amazing! The woman who was directing customers into the parking lot recognized my voice as I was driving in, and she was so gracious! She mentioned Zack’s passing to me and said she wanted to bless us with a pretty tree.
After looking at possible every tree growing at the farm, and exclaiming this one to be too big, or too small, too round, or too skinny… my girls found a nice one that seemed to fit the criteria, and cut it down. Mission accomplished.
While it was being bound and loaded onto the car roof, we headed into a big old barn that was set up for photos and contained and all sorts of Christmas cheer. We took some pics, sipped hot cocoa, warmed our hands, our toes, and our hearts.
Baby Paul had absolutely NO idea what was going on but he loved stomping around outside and picked up on the excitement emanating from everyone else. Blessing, Delilah, and he are all biological siblings, with the same birth mother in Africa, and this is their first Christmas together, so I want it to be magical.
We are making new memories as I hold tightly to others. I hope the same for you!
Delilah’s 12 Stockings of Christmas Sweepstakes
My 12 Stockings continues through December 22! Enter today for your chance to win a stocking so stuffed with holiday cheer and awesome products you’ll think there was nothing left in Santa’s bag to pass out to all the other good little boys and girls of the world!
Sunbeam | Renue Neck Wrap
Have a hard-to-buy-for person on your list? I gotchu covered! I am adding the perfect gift to my 12 Stockings this year; the Sunbeam Renue Neck Wrap. It can help provide soothing heated relief for the aches and pains at the back of the head, neck, and shoulders. Who couldn’t use a little relief?
The Trolls are back this holiday season with a brand new TV show, Trolls Holiday and I’m adding the soundtrack to my 12 Stockings! The gang’s all here, including Anna Kendrick as Poppy, Justin Timberlake as Branch, and Zooey Deschanel as Bridget.
The seven-track album features musical performances from the entire cast. You’ll want to get the soundtrack early to enjoy for the entire holiday season.
Trolls Holiday is available everywhere right now!
Holiday Rules Vol. 2
Don’t you love it when great artists get together to put out wonderful music?! The new album from Capitol records, Holidays Rule. Volume 2, lets today’s artists put their own mark on tradition by offering wonderfully fresh takes on holiday jingles.
It’s a joyful and diverse collection of seasonal music by an array of superstars including Paul McCartney, with his spirited new version of Wonderful Christmastime, ft. Jimmy Fallon and The Roots!
Holidays Rule, Volume 2 will rule your holidays!
Borden® Cheese | $100 Gift Card
Want to get home for the holidays? Well Borden® Cheese wants to help you make the trip to spend time with family and friends. This year I’m tucking a $100 Gift Card from Borden® Cheese into each of my 12 Stockings. Use it for travel expenses or to put good food on your table!
Borden® Cheese is all about gathering the family for a wholesome family meal. Their products are crafted with high-quality ingredients provided by farmers all across America.
Enter my 12 Stockings of Christmas and use keyword: RELIEF
December Book Club | A Simplified Life
by Emily Ley
I speak to you about finding your serenity often. The holidays are the most trying of times to do this, yet if you are to “survive” them, or at least come out in the New Year relatively unscathed by the craziness of the months preceding, serenity (sanity!) is exactly what you must find!
Enter my December Book Club pick, A Simplified Life: Tactical Tools for Intentional Living, by Emily Ley.
For those of you longing to simplify the demands on your time, energy, and resources, those with complicated responsibilities, overwhelming to-do lists, and endless clutter that leaves you feeling overwhelmed, THIS is the resource you’ve been looking for.
Walk alongside Emily through each page of A Simplified Life, working through her simple strategies toward your own goals as you simplify and make space for what matters most.
Know other busy, hassled, and harried folks striving to “do it all?” What a nice little gift for company, book club, coffee klatch, or church group gift exchanges! A great stocking stuffer… might I suggest the PERFECT gift to give oneself? The gift of A Simplified Life!
New Recipe | Crispy Cheddar Mashed Potato Puffs
Still finalizing your holiday menu? Whether hosting a casual get together or sitting down to the big meal, these Crispy Cheddar Mashed Potato Puffs from Borden® Cheese are always a crowd-pleaser!
- ¾ cup sour cream, divided
- 1 tsp. finely chopped chives or green onions, plus more for garnish
- 8 oz. Borden® Cheese Medium Cheddar Chunk, divided
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped, about 1 lb.
- 2 tbsp. Borden® Butter
- ??? tsp. garlic powder
- ??? tsp. seasoned salt
- ??? tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 15 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup beer batter dry mix
- Oil, as needed for frying
CHIVE CREAM –
- MIX ½ cup sour cream and chopped chives or onions together in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
CHEDDAR CRISPS –
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
- Shred ½ of cheese to make about 1 cup of shreds.
- Divide shreds into 8 piles, about 2 inches apart, on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and bake about 5 minutes or until cheese melts and becomes crisp.
- Let cool 5 minutes and remove from baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°F.
POTATO PUFFS –
- PLACE potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Heat over medium-high heat and boil potatoes until they are tender; drain. Beat the potatoes with the butter in an electric mixer bowl fitted with a paddle on medium-low speed until smooth, then add ¼ cup sour cream and all seasonings. Stir in the crumbled bacon.
- CUT the remaining 4 oz. cheese into 8 ½-inch cubes. Form balls of mashed potato mixture using an ice cream scoop. Make a small hole in center of each potato ball and fill with one cube cheese. Cover with additional mashed potato so cheese is hidden inside. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
- HEAT oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat to 375°F. Prepare beer batter according to package directions; dip each mashed potato ball into batter and deep-fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Reheat oil to 375°F between batches. Keep potato puffs warm in the holding oven.
- PLACE potato puff on a plate; top with dollop of chive cream, a few chives and the cheddar crisp. Serve immediately.
Borden® Cheese can always help you find the perfect recipe for any occasion calling for a delicious dish!
Do you hunt down your own tree? In the forest? At a tree farm? In a parking lot? Do you prefer an artificial tree? Flocked?
I love to hear about your holiday traditions! Will you tell me about them, please? Write to me! D@Delilah.com, and send a photo of your tree!
Wishing you warmth and wonder during this holy season,