Posted: 5:59 pm Wednesday, January 24th, 2018
By Staff Writer
I’ve enjoyed the frost, I’ve enjoyed the snow, I’ve enjoyed the dry, cold days, and I’ve even enjoyed (to a degree) the rain, because I know it is oh-so-necessary for our emerald vistas, but… I’m done.
Bring on spring.
Bring on daffodils.
Bring on Lenten roses…
I’m ready. Ready for longer days and rays of sunshine that burst forth from banks of dark clouds.
Ready for greening pastures.
Ready for light jackets and sunglasses.
What? That’s being impatient? Ok, Ok, bring on February then!
Give me hearts, and flowers, and birthdays (mine!) and LOVE! Give me pinks and reds and whites. Give me chocolates and tulips, and maybe one more dusting of snow. Give me music.
If all I must get through is the month of February before spring is clearly in my sights, I’m happy to do it.
How are YOU feeling about the winter. Got you down? Got you jazzed? Ready for February and Valentine’s Day? Tell me about it! Write to me d@Delilah.com!
Firefly Cove | January Book Club
At the beginning of January, I told you about my new Book Club pick, Firefly Cove, by Davis Bunn. Have you read it yet?
I sure hope the answer is ‘Yes!’ If it’s not, DO pick it up, you are sure to enjoy it!
Lucius Quarterfield is a character you want to get to know. His story is fascinating; Not given even a fighting chance of survival at birth, Lucius defied the odds and has made it to adulthood.
He’s packed as much success as humanly possible into the 28 years he has under his belt, but at what price?
One thing is certain in Lucius’ uncertain world, he will NOT be around for many second chances, so shouldn’t he take advantage of the one he has at love?
I’ve had other readers tell me they couldn’t put this book down, and I know the feeling!
Oh, hey… I love this book so much, I’M GIVING AWAY ten (10) hard-back copies! Want one of them? Write to me at D@Delilah.com and tell me why. Be sure to include your snail-mail address so I can get it to you if you’re chosen.
Good Eats | Pot Stickers
Years ago, I was taught to make pot stickers by a friend. They’re still the favorite ‘Mama Food’ of my first child, Sonny, and each one since. It’s what passes for comfort food in my house and when coupled with fried rice and some broccoli beef, makes a great meal!
Don’t be daunted by the steps, it may sound complicated, but once you get it down you could do it in your sleep. I’m sure I could… actually, I’m sure I have!
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons hoisin
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 36 won ton wrappers
- 1 egg + 2 Tablespoons water, beaten
- 2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce, for serving
- Combine pork, cabbage, carrots, garlic, green onions, hoisin, ginger, sesame oil, pepper, and corn starch. Mix well.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of pork mixture in the center of each won-ton wrapper, and brush inside edges with egg.
- Fold wrapper in half, making a triangle shape, and pinch edges closed.
- Brown each side briefly (do not cook through) in a large frying pan with hot oil and remove to drain.
- Arrange browned pot stickers in a single layer in another large frying pan with a lid.
- Add enough chicken broth to come half-way up pot stickers, but not enough to cover them. Bring to a boil then cover and turn to Low allowing to steam and cook through.
- While first batch is steaming, brown second batch.
- Serve with soy, teriyaki, or plum sauce for dipping.
I chose the pot-sticker recipe to wrap up January – hardy har har. Can you believe the month is coming to a close? Neither can I!
I’ve heard the older you get, the faster time goes by. Some days I believe it. Day’s like today when I realize this is the 4th January newsletter I’ve penned and I’m still cleaning up Christmas wrap and finding glitter in the oddest of places…
Other times it creeps by slowly. These are my nights, thinking of and missing my Zack.
My friends, I know the heart aches you know, and the joys you feel. I’m with you every step of the way and I have never been more grateful that you are here sharing the journey with me.
Give someone a hug today, they deserve it and so do you!